8/30/2011

Find What You Love

Alright y'all, today I'm preachin'...

In my last post I revealed that I had no major plans for the weekend...well, like 30 minutes after I clicked "publish post" I got a phone call from the Art Institute of Charleston.  I've been in contact with them about their interior design program, but haven't had a free weekend to go visit.

I kind of wanted a relaxing weekend at home, but I decided to just go for it because of football coming up and all that jazz.  I made an appointment for Saturday morning, but left Friday to make sure I didn't over sleep or whatever.  {Henry being the BEST boyfriend EVER came with me}  Yes, we ventured to Charleston in prime hurricane weather.  Oh well, we survived.

Anyway, the school was everything I hoped it'd be.  I LOVED it!

And this is where the preaching comes in...

 When I was in middle school and high school I remember sketching clothes and talking to my mom about wanting to go to the Art Institute in New York City, but do you think I wanted to live up north?  No.  And the one in Charleston didn't exist yet.  So, I went to my second choice, USC.  I went in as a Public Relations major and was with someone who brought out the worst in me.  He had me believe that money was everything and I wouldn't make it unless I did something in medicine, aka dental school.  A girl who, for lack of a better word, SUCKED at high school biology decided to major in biology because of what someone else convinced her was right.  BIG BIG mistake.  I made good grades freshman year because it's all the core classes that are pretty easy, so I convinced myself the road to dental school wouldn't be so bad…so I made the change to bio and attempted it for 2 years.  {and in the mean time I dumped the faggot}

My senior year in college I hit a wall.  I could not go on any longer doing biology.  I wasn’t doing well, I already decided I wasn’t passionate about dental school…It just wasn’t me.  SO, I switched back to PR to actually see what it was all about considering my freshman year we didn't get into any major classes yet.  Again, I made better grades, but I was still not 100% happy.  I kept at it because I didn’t know what else to do.  I mean my senior year isn’t exactly the time to just pick up a completely new major, right?  Wrong.  Should have done that FO SHO.  Anyway, I met with my advisor at the end of my senior year and we discussed graduation plans.  If I stuck with PR, I could graduate the following May, but I’d have to take a full summer course load.  Gross.  If I switched back to biology I would only need a few more classes to graduate the following December.  I discussed this with other people and they had me convinced, “Morgan, it’s only a few more classes…you can stick it out!”

This genius right here went along with it.

What. An. Idiot.

Because here I am, still trying to pass stupid courses like Organic Chemistry in a major that I HATE and a major that I KNOW I’m doing nothing in life with.  Obviously I have had one hell of an emotional roller coaster over the past 5 years of college.  I've spent countless hours studying things I don't enjoy and it was ALL due to someone else's opinion.  Not my own.

Girls, if I've learned ANYthing at all in this horrific biology degree of mine it's.. DON'T SETTLE.  Life is entirely too short to be anything but happy.  If you're not completely satisfied, change it.  You are in control of your life.  Nobody else... {other than the big Man upstairs that is..}  So don't let other people decipher your life.  YOU need to find the meaning of it.  What are you passionate about?  If you aren't sure, try a bunch of things and figure it out!  I guess I was just lucky to have a passion for design at a young age, but I still didn't even know what type of design until midway through last year.

We're still young and have our whole lives ahead of us to find what we love, but why wait?  You ain’t gettin’ any younger people…And the sooner you start, the longer you get to enjoy it.

Do yourself a favor and read this article about Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple.  It's an eye opener for sure.


http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903596904576520690515394766.html


{PS. the message ISN'T about quitting college, just clearing that up before I get hate mail or something...}


Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday, loves!


xxoo
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

  1. Oh sissy, im sorry. I was a bio/chem major. It sucks. So bad. Thank you for dumping the faggot. Hehe. Keep your head up. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I saw your comment on savannah's blog. Are you really her sissy? I mean, you are GORGEOUS just like her so that would make total sense. I would love it so much if you guys are really sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and ps, that article? LOVED it. I am all for college, however I am ALSO all for people who decide not to go to college and do something else they are passionate about. I went to two semesters of college, quit to go snowboarding and never went back :)

    and I'm happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a semi-similar experience the first few years of college, and now that I've dropped the person/people responsible for it I am SO much happier! It's all about doing what makes YOU happy and no one else.

    I love your blog! I'm a new subscriber and I can't wait to keep up with your blog!


    Rachel
    http://j-peachy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this. great post, love. Would love if you'd check out my tribute to Rachel Zoe in honor of tonight's premier. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate so well to this post. You're so right...life is too short to live your life on someone else's game plan.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! :) I want to respond to everyone so please make sure your email address is set to where I can write you back! Thank you SO much for reading! It means the world to me!